5 Tips To Dress In-Between Seasons
The official first day of spring was this past week. I’ve retired my winter coats for lighter options, hoping that Mother Nature decides to bring us warmer temps. My closet is getting a re-vamp as well in preparation for Spring/Summer.
It can be tricky getting ready in the morning because we are in-between seasons. I get asked by the majority of my clients how to dress during this time. You look in your closet and nothing seems fun or interesting. You might be sick of your wardrobe, wishing for warmer temps, and ready to banish some bulky layers. But how do you get out of this rut and put a little spring in your style when the weather isn’t cooperating? I’ve put together a guide to help you banish the winter blues and bring a little spring into your style.
1. Show some skin.
- Layer long-sleeved sheer tops over camisoles or seamless tanks. Add a cardigan in a lighter color if you need more warmth.
- Choose a lower neckline – scoopneck long-sleeved T’s or sweaters are a great choice.
- Swap opaque black tights for patterned or lighter hosiery options.
2. Transition your shoes.
- Replace your knee-high boots for ankle boots (booties).
- Depending on the weather, wear ballet flats.
- Lighten up on your boots. Choose gray over black and tan over brown suede.
3. Lighten up your look.
- Layer up with your lightest neutral shades and wear these now – cardigans, jackets, and scarves.
- Pull out your lighter colored jeans and put away your dark waxed jeans or corduroy jeans.
- Choose prints with white or lighter colored backgrounds.
- Transition your makeup and you’ll notice that spring colors will lighten and brighten your face.
- Change up your handbag. Look for bright colored totes or bags in bright spring colors and lighter metallic colors.
4. Tuck away heavy metal.
- Layer mixed chain necklaces.
- Wear chandelier or filigree earrings that are more airy, open, and lacy.
- Lighten up on your accessories. Consider brushed silver or rose gold.
5. Minimize the volume.
- Make a switch with your sweaters and swap out heavy cable knits for cashmere or merino wool sweaters.
- Wear a tunic vs. a cowl neck sweater.
- Crinkle cotton, silk, or lightweight wool scarves are a great choice rather than bulky knits.
- Break out your trench coats with liners, cotton spring coats, or jeans jackets when the weather warms up. If winter is still lingering, lighter colored wool coats are a great alternative.
Looking for some fresh solutions? Let’s get into your closet and rework your pieces so you feel great about your everyday outfits. You can reach me at 414.841.5096, to discuss your needs and set up a consultation. I’m here to help!